Friday, May 7, 2010

April Showers of Blessings -- the Sequel

When I thought of the title for this month's blog, I realized that I had already used it in April of 2008. I went back and read that update, and I was really amazed to see how much God has grown and changed the ways that I am serving him in Japan. I am still learning -- especially now that I find myself in a new city, learning about a new church and building tons of new relationships. I am still learning, and I am still feeling overwhelmed, but I am thankful because God has opened my eyes to lots of ways that he is blessing me and the work in front of me (that I see people doing and that I need to do). So I want to share a little bit about that with you.

One blessing in April was the uncountable opportunities to spend time with Mito church members. We have been getting to know several of the Assistant English Teachers (AETs), since they all fall into the "young adult" category (one of the ministries of which Joel will be in charge). Eight new teachers arrived from America, so we have been helping them to get settled into life in Mito, which is sometimes comical, considering that Joel, Gaku and I just arrived in Mito a month ago.

In the month of April, I had many chances to observe what's happening around here. I helped a little with the "Agape" homeless ministry on the 10th -- some members from another church in the city come each month to help serve curry to, sing songs with, and build relationships with some of the city's homeless people in the Mito Church of Christ parking lot.

On the third Sunday, I attended the annual all-church meeting. It was a
great opportunity to observe how Mito church, as a body, deals with major changes. I also learned a great deal about the history of Mito church, and was so encouraged by the direction in which this church family is going.

On the 25th, the church hosted a combination welcome/farewell potluck for Joel, Gaku and I/the Hancock family (former missionary family at Mito church). It was a great time of fellowship and celebration of the time that the Hancocks were members of Mito church.



At the end of the month, our friend Akiko (young Christian, who recently married and moved from Sendai to Yokohama) visited Mito to spend a few days with us and attend the All-Japan Worship at Ibaraki Christian University (located a little north of Mito). The morning's worship and the lunchtime fellowship were a great blessing to me, especially a really encouraging conversation I had with Paul and Stacey Herrington, missionaries at Haruna Church of Christ in Gunma prefecture (near Gaku's hometown).

We have also spent a lot of time thinking and praying about the future of Mito church -- the immediate future and hopes beyond this year. This year's theme is "Growing Deeper, Going Beyond" -- we are focusing on Acts 1:8, and hoping that this will help us become to a more outreach-focused church family, while also deepening our relationship with God and with one another. We want to be Jesus' witnesses in "Jerusalem" (here -- in our church, in our families, among our friends), in "Judea and Samaria" (in Mito city, in Japan) and "to the ends of the earth".


I am full of hope for the future of Mito church, and I am so blessed to be here, to have the chance to help and encourage, to be encouraged, to share my faith and to learn and grow alongside my brothers and sisters here.


Please pray with me . . .

~that the Mito church family will continue "growing deeper, going beyond" -- that we will find ways to dig deeper into the spiritual spring and allow the Holy Spirit to flow out into our church, our families, our friendships, our city, the nation and the world. Holy Father make Mito a light in Japan!


~for new leaders in the churches of Japan. The churches are aging; numbers in fellowship are decreasing. Please pray with me for those struggling churches. And please join me in praying that the Holy Spirit will make Mito church into a place for growth, equipping and sending out of new leaders to revive dying churches and plant new ones throughout Japan and even throughout Asia!


~Please pray for Sendai church -- please pray for the Suzuki family, for Yuko and for Toshiko. This is a difficult time, and the future of the church is still uncertain, so please pray that they will have wisdom and boldness in making difficult desicions.
And especially pray that their faith will grow strong and not become weak in this challenging time.

~that the new AETs will continue to find their places in Mito -- that they will settle in to their work situations, that they will find a place to serve in Mito church, and that they will receive wisdom and guidance in their efforts to learn Japanese language and culture.


~a praise to God for helping me to begin to find my place in Mito church -- of course, I am not completely settled in, and my place to serve is still taking shape, but I feel like the Holy Spirit is guiding me in opportunities to build relationships and chances to learn and serve. And I am so thankful for this time


~that I will hear and follow God's guidance as I make decisions about the future. I have lived in Japan for 2 1/2 years now, and my current commitment will end at the end of this year. I feel that God is and has been leading me to stay, but the obstacles to that seem fairly daunting, so please pray that I won't be led by fear, but will boldly do the work that God has set in front of me, in faith that God will provide in all ways.

No comments: