Monday, April 5, 2010

Season of Renewal

I feel like everything in my life is new. And this is just the time of year for new things -- I have been enjoying all of the new blooms on the trees, and new flowers popping up in the yard of our new home in our new city. Even my blog needed a new name -- "Sasha in Sendai" would not work any longer for a girl who lives in Mito.

We arrived in Mito last week on Monday, so it has been over a week -- and the past week was full! Full of things to do, places to go and people to see! Sunday morning worship with Mito church was the best part -- but also the most overwhelming for me. Everyone was kind and welcoming, but so many new faces left me feeling a little tired. I am so thankful that the church members are so excited to have us here, and I am hoping that it will soon feel like home.


Since Joel's work for the church does not officially start until the beginning of May, we will have this month to get settled in, learn how to get around Mito city, and get aquainted with the church members and what's going on in Mito Church. I think this sounded much more relaxed than it is turning out to be, so I am thankful that we have the rest of the month to get everything done. I will be looking for opportunities to continue studying Japanese (hopefully Mito has some kind of volunteer programs, similar to ones I joined in Sendai), and also keeping my eyes and my heart open for ministry opportunities that will broaden my experience during this training period.


I can't believe that I have been in Japan for more than two years, and my apprenticeship is more than half finished. I am confident that God has brought me to Mito to enrich this training period, and I am hopeful that it will turn out to be a stepping stone into some kind of long-term work in Japan. I was blessed to begin with a one-year internship that become a kind of "sink or swim" experience in English outreach and cultural adjustment -- I learned so much about myself, my faith and life in Japan. Then I felt so relieved when God brought Joel back to Japan, opening an opportunity for me to be in a mentoring relationship and experience a more team-like mission experience -- I feel like I am starting to find a vision for the ministry that God has planned for me, and, of course, I have continued to learn about Japanese culture.


For the rest of my apprenticeship I will be working with Mito church, so I want to share a little more about this working situation and some of my vision for the remainder of this year. Joel will be working mainly with the youth and young adults to facilitate spiritual growth and encourage leadership. Also, since there are several foreigners (who are mostly English teachers) attending the Mito church who also fall into the "young adult" category, he will have some responsibilities and opportunities unique to serving in a cross-cultural church family. As his apprentice, I imagine that I will be sharing in at least some of that experience. I have felt a pull to evangelism and spiritual development through mentoring relationships, so I am hopeful that God is opening an opportunity for me to be mentored and to mentor others.


Beyond that, I am just thankful to be in a much healthier church situation, partnering with Japanese Christians who are sharing the gospel with their community and working toward their vision to grow spiritual leaders who will be able to take the gospel message throughout Japan. I know that this year will also bring times of struggle, but I am so looking forward to the blessings in store as well.


Please pray with me . . .

~for the Sendai church. They will be making lots of decisions about this year at this month's annual church meeting. Please pray that they will see God's will for the church, make wise decisions and follow God's guidance in faith.


~that Mito church will move smoothly through this season of transition. In addition to three new members from Sendai (me, Joel and Gaku), there will be several new English teachers arriving this month. Also, the Hancock family, who have been members of Mito church for several years, will be leaving. All of these changes will cause the dynamic of the membership and the church leadership to change -- so please be praying that God's hand will continue to guide the church through this season of change.


~for peace and trust in God. I am feeling out of my element in a new place, and unsure of my role at Mito church, which, I have found, makes me a little moody. So please be praying for my human weakness -- I need our Savior so much, but it is so easy to forget that in the bustle of daily life.


Small Note on Finances:


As most of you know, this year has been challenging for this ministry in the area of financial support. I am still getting by, and God has provided for April's salary, but there is still about a 50% shortage in pledged funds for the rest of the year. So if you can help in any way, please let me know -- sashainsendai@yahoo.com


Please continue to pray for this need! Thank you for all your love and support!

No comments: